Sr Manufacturing Controls Dev Engineer
Company: Tesla Motors
Posted on: June 12, 2021
We are seeking a technically gifted Sr Manufacturing Controls
Dev Engineer for the Gigafactory in Sparks Nevada to contribute to
design and development of automation equipment for manufacturing
test operations. The hired individual will work alongside several
software, electrical and mechanical engineers to deliver and
hand-off safe, robust world-class systems that will be used to test
the technology on our cars. The perfect candidate will be expected
to read and contribute to software architecture designs, understand
(and occasionally design) electrical/pneumatic schematics and also
show competence in basic mechanical concepts. Must also show
competency in equipment safety.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are
NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create/assist with electrical,
pneumatic and fluid schematics when needed.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis
on generating code that is organized, structured, documented,
maintainable and reusable. PLC code will interact with subsystems
such as conveyors, robots, Manufacturing Execution System (MES),
Python modules, golang modules, LabView, machine vision, and 3rd
- Implement (ANSI/RIA15.06/OSHA compliant) control reliable
safety systems for safeguarding robots, gantries, conveyors, and
other high volume manufacturing equipment.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery
while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Review electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, pneumatic and
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components
such as servos.
- Identify manual processes that can be automated and deliver
solid plan and concept to get this done.
- Create machine interactions with plant-wide Manufacturing
Execution System (MES) to communicate product acceptability,
machine status, and process variables.
- Enforce application of Tesla standards, work alongside project
managers to supervise suppliers during specification, design
review, design approval.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution at Vendor
and at Tesla facility during installation and buy-off.
- Characterize and validate new automated process equipment for
deployment into production using a data driven approach such as
simulation, Capacity and Capability statistical test (Gage
Repeatability and Reproducibility test, Cpk, etc).
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize cycle time,
improve availability and yield.
- Assembly Line Development and Implementation.
- Create data management and tracking communications network
architecture and interface with cross-functional teams for product,
processes and quality traceability control implementation.
- The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her/their hands-on work,
analytical ability, organizational skills and attention to detail.
They appreciate an environment where superior work is encouraged,
noticed and rewarded and where individuals carry tremendous
responsibility. They look forward to learning an incredible amount
on the job.
- PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, Siemens TIA Portal, or
- Safety PLCs (Allen Bradley ControlLogix, SIMATIC Safety
Integrated, or Beckhoff TwinSAFE)
- Human Machine Interface (HMI / GUI - Ignition, Studio 5000 View
Designer, SIMATIC WinCC (TIA Portal), or TwinCAT HMI)
- Field bus Networks (Ethernet IP, PROFINET, EtherCAT)
- Familiarity with Electrical prints and standard for Industrial
- Proficiency with process integration and electromechanical /
- Understanding of software concepts and architecture is a
- Competency in software programming in golang, python or
c/c++/c# is a huge plus.
- Familiarity with Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots is
highly desired (Fanuc, Kuka, Motoman, Epson)
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, National
Electric code, UL508A).
- In depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06,
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment.
- Demonstrated excellence in programming PLCs. Must have a
well-defined methodology for maintaining code structure and
organization. Ability to program state machines for complex
processes which involve multi-station parallel processing, pick and
place automation, data acquisition, and PID control. Proven ability
to design fault-tolerant systems with error handling and
- Project experience involving communications between PLCs and
other software programming languages to safely control complex
system is a huge plus.
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and
cable, sensors, safety hardware, PLC hardware, remote I/O, VFD and
- Proficiency programming and tuning variable frequency
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial
sensors, and equipment (LVDT and pressure transducers, dispense
systems, temperature controllers, torque controllers, current and
power meters, etc).
- Experience programming Cartesian, SCARA and Articulated robots
is highly desired (Fanuc, Kuka most preferred).
- Experience with Vision systems (Cognex, Keyence, Fanuc).
- Experience creating technical specifications for automated
manufacturing equipment is highly desired.
- Experience transitioning products and processes from prototype
to production desired
- Knowledge of production quality metrics is a plus.
- Ability to use 3D CAD packages such as with SolidWorks and
CATIA is a plus.
- Industry or Project Experience in Automation.
- BS/MS Electrical Engineering (or equivalent - Majors in:
Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering,
Automation Engineering, Robotics, Software Engineering, Computer
- 1-4 years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or
Applications Engineer working on automation and/or
electromechanical systems or 1 year of accumulated Internship
experience in Controls or Automation.
Keywords: Tesla Motors, Sparks , Sr Manufacturing Controls Dev Engineer, Other , Sparks, Nevada
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!